top of page

Information Center for Migrant Workers in Israel

The Call Center for Foreign Workers - who are we?

The Call Center for Foreign Workers is at your service!

Operated by the non-profit organization CIMI on behalf of Israel’s Population and Immigration Authority (PIBA) it supports you by providing information and by assisting in case of infringement on your rights. Don't hesitate to contact when in need.

1-700-707-889  /  077-999-8567

Know Your Rights!

Understanding your rights as a worker in Israel is very important!

Check out the various resources prepared for you.

  • Employment & Registration status
    As a migrant worker in Israel, you must be registered under a legal employer with a valid permit at all times, in order to keep your legal status and full rights. How to self-check your registration status? On PIBA’s official foreign worker’s portal here you can view your up-to-date information regarding your registration and visa. Guides and resources
  • Transferring Employers
    As a migrant worker in Israel, you have the right to request to change employers. Transfers are permitted only to employers holding a valid permit to employ migrant workers in the agricultural sector, and will be accepted only if you first made a sincere attempt to work for the previous employer. How to transfer employers? You must submit your resignation by giving the employer and the agency sufficient advance notice in writing, in order to not be penalized with deductions from your salary. The minimum number of days’ notice you must give is defined by your seniority at the workplace. It is recommended to keep proof of giving notice (e.g., by sending a copy via e-mail or phone app to the employer where it can be seen that the message was received and read). Guides and resources
  • Visas
    Work Visa: your work visa in Israel (B/1 visa) is valid for a maximum of one year. Your employer is responsible for renewing it each year at no additional cost to you. Re-entry Visa: If you wish to temporarily leave Israel (e.g. to visit your home country), you must receive a re-entry visa (inter-visa) prior to your departure in order to be allowed to return to Israel. Your employer/agency should help you obtain it, but the payment is your responsibility. The intervisa payment is 195 nis (as of 2024). Guides and resources
  • Salary
    Payment of wages: Your salary must be paid to you on a monthly basis, by the 9th of the consecutive month. Israeli law defines minimum wages, for regular hours and for overtime hours (see resources below for more information). Pay slip: Your pay slip must be provided each month, digitally or in hard copy. It presents an important breakdown of your payment, number of work hours, deductions, and accumulated rights (e.g. vacation days, sick days etc.) (see resources below for more information). Guides and resources - salary Guides and resources - pay slip
  • Work Hours
    It is important to work in line with the permitted work hours framework defined by Israeli law in order to avoid possible problems with payment, insurance coverage, and accumulation of social payments. Regular hours: A full month of work consists of 182 work hours (42 hours per week, except for the summer month when the number of weekly hours is 40). The number of regular work hours per day is 8. Overtime: The 9th work hour per day onwards, is considered as overtime. The maximum permitted number of overtime hours is 16 per week and 4 per day. Payment for overtime is additional to the base salary. It is illegal to work more than 12 hours per day. Guides and Resources
  • Employment Contract
    Every worker in Israel must sign and receive a copy of their employment contract. It is very important because it is a binding document outlining your rights and obligations at work, and both you and your employer must abide by it. If at any point during your time in Israel, you transfer to a new employer, you must sign a new contract. Make sure to read through your contract and ask if there is anything you don’t understand. The contract must be provided to you in a language that you understand. Guides and Resources
  • Accommodation
    As a migrant worker in Israel, your employer must provide you with housing that fulfills a set of conditions and requirements, and at a standardized price. Each month the employer may deduct from your salary no more than the maximum permitted amount (which is subject to change annually) to cover accommodation fees - housing and utilities. The employer must fix any problems in the accommodation, but you are also responsible for taking proper care, keeping it clean, and reasonably using the accommodation utilities. Guides and Resources
  • Holidays & Vacation
    Besides the weekly rest day (unpaid) that you must receive each week, you are also entitled to paid vacation days, as well as paid religious/national holidays. Vacation days: No less than 12 fully paid days per year for those working 5 days per week and 14 fully paid days per year for those working 6 days per week. The annual number increases with seniority at a workplace. A vacation day must be coordinated in advance with your employer. Religious/National holidays: 10 fully paid days per year, in accordance with either Israeli national holidays or the tradition of your home country (the choice between which tradition to follow is made at the beginning of the employment). If required to work you are entitled to additional compensation. Guides and Resources
  • Medical Care and Sick Leave
    How to receive medical treatment if in need? If feeling unwell, it is your employer’s responsibility to assist you with making an appointment to see a doctor. The doctor will prescribe medicine or refer you to additional tests if necessary. Doctor visits and different types of treatment that are covered by the insurance will be paid for, but if the treatment type is not covered by your insurance, it will be at your own expense. How to take sick leave if in need? If feeling unwell or injured, a doctor will determine if you need time off work in order to recover. If so, the doctor issues a permit stating the number of days of sick leave you are entitled to, which can later be extended by the doctor if there is a need. This permit must be shown to the employer in order for you to receive payment for days in which you did not work as part of your sick leave. Guides and Resources
  • Medical Insurance
    As a migrant worker in Israel, you must have coverage by medical insurance which gives you access to subsidized medical care. Your employer is responsible for signing you up to the insurance plan, and for paying the majority of the cost (a portion of the fee is deducted from your monthly salary). Please note that if you change employers, you must confirm that you receive a new insurance plan. If you are not legally registered or do not have a valid work visa, you will not have insurance coverage and will have to pay for it yourself. Guides and Resources
  • Safety at Work
    Your employer is obliged to create a safe working environment by conducting routine checks of the equipment and workspace, giving you briefings and trainings, and providing you with all necessary protection gear. If you are injured at work or develop a work-related medical condition, you may be entitled to compensation from the National Insurance Institute (NII). If working at heights (2 meters or more above ground): you must complete training from an instructor and receive a certificate, and use protective equipment. Working with chemicals: you must receive protective equipment to cover your skin and eyes, and a mask that will ensure a sufficient filter of chemical particles. Shower and change your clothes immediately afterwards. Guides and Resources
  • Emergency Contacts
    The Call Center for Foreign Workers is the Israeli official governmental support center for migrant workers in Israel. Its representatives speak your language and can provide information and assistance with matters related to regulations and your employment in Israel (e.g. visa, work contract, living conditions, registration, lack of medical assistance from your employer, or lack of response from the official agency in which you are employed). However, if you need emergency assistance contact your employer or national emergency services*: Police: dial 100 Medical First Aid: dial 101 Fire Rescue: dial 102 *Commonly the national hotlines provide service in a limited number of languages. If they do not speak your language, consider asking for help from your employer or a colleague who speaks one of these languages. Guides and Resources
  • Safety During Security Events
    Israel is a country in a conflict zone, and from time to time there may be a risk of a conflict breakout. However, Israel’s Home Front Command has clear instructions on how to stay safe in cases of attacks. If you hear sirens warning of rocket fire it is important to follow the instructions calmly, and check with your employer about locations of shelters in the area of your work and accommodation (migunit). Guides and Resources
  • People and Culture
    Israel is quite a small country, with a population of under 10 million people. The official languages are Hebrew and Arabic, and the most prominent religion is Judaism, followed by Islam and then Christianity. Israeli cuisine is very mixed, and the main ingredients include fresh vegetables, dairy products, fish, and meat. Pork might be quite hard to find (except in Russian shops) because it is not permissible food in the Jewish and Muslim religions. You might feel that Israel’s communication culture is very different from yours – Israelis often talk loudly and animatedly, many times using hand gestures and touches. People refer to each other by first names, and are often direct even when expressing negative comments or asking questions. Israelis do not do this to offend, but if you feel uncomfortable don't hesitate to say! Guides and Resources
  • Transportation
    Israel has an inter-city train and bus network, and inside cities buses are the most common means of public transportation. Many people also cycle, but note that to be permitted to ride an electric bike it is mandatory to wear a helmet and hold a license that is valid in Israel, or alternatively pass a theory exam. Is there public transportation on weekends? Between Friday afternoon to Saturday evening, as well as on religious holidays, most public transportation options do not operate. How to pay for public transportation? On board public transport it is only possible to pay with a pre-loaded card called “Rav-Kav” or a phone app (e.g Hopon Mobility, Moovit). Cash payment is only possible in a station’s ticket booth or in taxis. Guides and Resources
  • Geography and Climate
    Israel is relatively a small country, to get from the northernmost point to the southernmost point by car takes about 9 hours. What is the weather in Israel like? Israel is characterized by a Mediterranean climate in the north, and desert in the south. Summer is very hot and dry as there is no rainfall, winter is the wet season, and in Spring and Autumn the weather varies, some years are hotter than others. What are some main locations in Israel? Israel’s capital city is Jerusalem which is a holy city for Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. The main economic center, however, is Tel Aviv, a big coastal city where Israel’s business sector is found. The city of Eilat, at the southernmost point in Israel, and the Dead Sea are common tourist destinations. The Dead Sea is famous for the medicinal qualities of its minerals, as well as being the lowest place on earth – 430 meters below sea level! Guides and Resources

Hebrew Language - Learn the Basics

Knowing useful words and common phrases will help you in your work and day-to-day life in Israel.

Our short tutorials are organized by topic, and will teach you the meaning and pronunciation of key words.

bottom of page